Built to Order Double Reed Plate Marine Band 1896
The Blue Moon Double Reed Marine Band 1896 is built with one of our CNC Milled Combs and Marine Band Reed Plates & Covers. Combs are available in Brass, DuPont™ Corian®, Aircraft Grade (6061) Aluminum, Phenolic Resin or Fancy Acrylic. We then add an extra plate (essentially a reed plate without reeds). The extra plates are mounted on top of the blow plate and between the draw plate and the comb to create reed plates that are thicker than stock Rocket reed plates (not quite twice as thick). The principle behind this design is that the Double Reed Plates create larger chambers in the reed slots. Therefore, each time a reed swings through the slot it will move more air than as compared to a standard reed plate. The result is increased volume and responsiveness.
The Standard Set-up for our harmonicas is a "Blues Set-up". These harmonicas are designed for playing Traditional Blues, Rock, Country, Gospel and Folk music. They feature the following upgrades:
- Installation of a Custom Blue Moon Comb
- Nails Replaced with Screws
- Draw Plate flat sanded and tapped for screws
- Full Slot Embossin
- Covers opened in the back
- Gaps adjusted for optimum response
- Reed profiles checked and shaped if necessary
- Tuned to Modern Compromise Temperament @ A=442Hz (alternate tunings available upon request)
Our Standard Blues Set-up is the harmonica of choice for most players. These harps are airtight, responsive, in tune, very comfortable in your hands and on your lips and tongue. Although we don't promote them as "Overblow Harps", it very easy to Overblow the 4, 5 and 6 on these harps (assuming you know how to overblow). If you want a full blown custom harp that can be played chromatically by use of Overblows and Overdraws, this will require an extensive amount of additional reed work and customization. Consequently, there is an additional charge to produce such a harmonica. In addition, we offer a number of alternate tunings, some which do not carry an additional charge and some of which do.
Custom Set-up and Tuning Options:
- Equal Temperament (No Additional Charge)
- 19-Limit Just Intonation (No Additional Charge)
- 7-Limit Just Intonation Tuning (No Additional Charge)
- Country Tuning ($5.00 Additional Charge)
- Paddy Richter Tuning ($5.00 Additional Charge)
- Natural Minor Tuning ($20.00 Additional Charge)
- Harmonic Minor Tuning ($20.00 Additional Charge)
- Overblow/Overdraw Full Chromatic Set-up ($50.00 Additional Charge) (Extensive Reed Work to facilitation Overblows on holes 4, 5 and 6 and Overdraws on holes 7, 8, 9 and 10 which enable the harmonica to be played Chromatically)
Expected Delivery Date
Please note that the turnaround time on Custom Harmonicas is currently running about 6 months or perhaps longer. Unless a harmonica is listed as a “Ready-to-Go” harp, all custom harps are built to order, per the customer’s specifications. We keep an inventory of over 1,500 combs and about 400 new Hohner and/or Suzuki harmonicas on hand at all times. If it is listed on the website, we have it in stock. The wait time is not due to us making the combs or ordering the stock harp. It is simply that we are very, very busy and custom harps take time to build. Thank you in advance for your patience.
100 % Satisfaction Guarantee
Blue Moon Harmonicas LLC stands behind everything we offer with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If, for ANY REASON, you are not completely satisfied, please speak up. We will do everything in our power to make things right. That might include making adjustments to your custom harmonica, exchanging the product for something else or refunding your money. That is your call. We just want you to be happy. So, please do not hesitate to communicate with us.
One Year Comprehensive Warranty
Every Custom Harmonica comes with a Top to Bottom One Year Warranty. If ANYTHING goes wrong with your harp in the first year, we will fix it at NO CHARGE. This includes blown out reeds or anything else that can go wrong with a harp. After one year, we will service your harp for a flat rate of $25.00. That would include cleaning, tuning, replacing any blown out reeds and in general, making the harp look and play like the day you got it.