Built to Order Double Reed Special 20 with Aluminum Comb
Built to Order
Double Reed Plate Special 20
with an Anodized Aluminum Comb
The Blue Moon Special 20 is built with one of our CNC Milled Anodized Aluminum Combs and Hohner Special 20 Reed Plates & Covers. We then add an extra plate (essentially a reed plate without reeds) and a Blue Moon Special 20 comb that has been custom designed to accommodate the thicker plates. The extra plates are mounted on top of the blow plate and between the draw plate and the comb to create reed plates that are thicker than stock Special 20 reed plates (not quite twice as thick). The principle behind this design is that the Double Reed Plates create larger chambers in the reed slots. Therefore each time a reed swings through the slot it will move more air than as compared to a standard reed plate. The result is increased volume and responsiveness.
At present we have two Anodized Aluminum Combs to choose from:
- Black Anodized Aluminum
- Clear Anodized Aluminum
You can choose from either a Clear Anodized Aluminum Comb or a Black Anodized Aluminum Comb. We use 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum. Anodization is an electrolytic process whereby a layer of Aluminum Oxide is created on the surface of the metal. Aluminum Oxide is non-reactive and more durable than aluminum.
Keys Available = Low F , G, Ab, A, Bb & C
Please Note: The Low Tuned Keys - LC, LD and LF will be built using Rocket Reed Plates and Covers.
Our Double Reed Plate Special 20s will be built according to your instructions. You can choose from the available Keys, Custom Combs, Set-up and Tuning to personalize your harmonica.
The Standard Set-up for our harmonicas is a "Blues Set-up". These harmonicas are designed for playing Traditional Blues, Rock, Country, Gospel and Folk music. They feature the following upgrades:
- Installation of a Custom Blue Moon Comb
- Draw Plate flat sanded and tapped for screws
- Covers opened in the back
- Gaps adjusted for optimum response
- Reed profiles checked and shaped if necessary
- Cover Brace Installed (See Pictures)
- Tuned to Modern Compromise Temperament @ A=442Hz (alternate tunings available upon request)
Our Standard Blues Set-up is the harmonica of choice for most players. These harps are airtight, responsive, in tune, very comfortable in your hands and on your lips and tongue. Although we don't promote them as "Overblow Harps", it very easy to Overblow the 4, 5 and 6 on these harps (assuming you know how to overblow). If you want a full blown custom harp that can be played chromatically by use of Overblows and Overdraws, this will require an extensive amount of additional reed work and customization. Consequently, there is an additional charge to produce such a harmonica. In addition, we offer a number of alternate tunings, some which do not carry an additional charge and some of which do.
Custom Set-up and Tuning Options:
- Equal Temperament (No Additional Charge)
- 19-Limit Just Intonation (No Additional Charge)
- 7-Limit Just Intonation Tuning (No Additional Charge)
- Country Tuning ($5.00 Additional Charge)
- Paddy Richter Tuning ($5.00 Additional Charge)
- Natural Minor Tuning ($20.00 Additional Charge)
- Harmonic Minor Tuning ($20.00 Additional Charge)
- Overblow/Overdraw Full Chromatic Set-up ($50.00 Additional Charge) (Extensive Reed Work to facilitation Overblows on holes 4, 5 and 6 and Overdraws on holes 7, 8, 9 and 10 which enable the harmonica to be played Chromatically
Please note that the turnaround time on Custom Harmonicas is currently running 6 to 8 weeks. Unless a harmonica is listed as a “Ready-to-Go” harp, all custom harps are built to order, per the customer’s specifications. We keep an inventory of over 1,500 combs and about 400 new Hohner and/or Suzuki harmonicas on hand at all times. If it is listed on the website, we have it in stock. The wait time is not due to us making the combs or ordering the stock harp. It is simply that we are very, very busy and custom harps take time to build. Thank you in advance for your patience.
As always, your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you are not completely satisfied with this harp, speak up, let us know, and we'll make it right, either by fixing this harp, replacing it or giving you a complete refund - your call.
We Also Recommend