Built to Order Marine Band 1896 with Aluminum Comb
Built to Order
Classic Marine Band 1896
with Aluminum Comb
The Marine Band 1896 is the original classic Marine Band harmonica. It is easily the most popular, best-selling diatonic harmonica ever. It remains the only pro-level harmonica that is assembled using nails to fasten the reed plates and covers to the comb. Harmonica Customizers have been disassembling the MB1896 for decades.
Blue Moon Aluminum Combs are CNC Milled from Aircraft Grade (6061) Aluminum. They are tumbled with ceramic polishing stones to remove burrs and then anodized to seal the aluminum. Anodizing is a process of adding a natural oxide layer on the metal which increases the corrosion and wear resistance. Anodized Aluminum is non-conductive, tasteless and odorless.
We also have a limted availabilty of Black Nickel-Plated Aluminum Marine Band Combs. They start out exactly the same as our Anodized Aluminum Combs but instead having them anodized they are buffed and polished to a beautiful high gloss finish and then electroplated. The result is quite stunning.
The Standard Set-up for our harmonicas is a "Blues Set-up". These harmonicas are designed for playing Traditional Blues, Rock, Country, Gospel and Folk music. They feature the following upgrades:
- Installation of a Custom Blue Moon Comb
- All nails replaced with screws
- Draw Plate Flat Sanded and tapped for screws
- Covers opened in the back
- Gaps adjusted for optimum response
- Reed profiles checked and shaped as needed
- Tuned to Modern Compromise Temperament @ A=442Hz (alternate tunings available upon request)
Our Standard Blues Set-up is the harmonica of choice for most players. These harps are airtight, responsive, in tune, very comfortable in your hands and on your lips and tongue. Although we don't promote them as "Overblow Harps", it very easy to Overblow the 4, 5 and 6 on these harps (assuming you know how to overblow). If you want a full blown custom harp that can be played chromatically by use of Overblows and Overdraws, this will require an extensive amount of additional reed work and customization. Consequently, there is an additional charge to produce such a harmonica. In addition, we offer a number of alternate tunings, some which do not carry an additional charge and some of which do.
Custom Set-up and Tuning Options:
- Equal Temperament (No Additional Charge)
- 19-Limit Just Intonation (No Additional Charge)
- 7-Limit Just Intonation Tuning (No Additional Charge)
- Country Tuning ($5.00 Additional Charge)
- Paddy Richter Tuning ($5.00 Additional Charge)
- Natural Minor Tuning ($20.00 Additional Charge)
- Harmonic Minor Tuning ($20.00 Additional Charge)
- Overblow/Overdraw Full Chromatic Set-up ($50.00 Additional Charge) (Extensive Reed Work to facilitation Overblows on holes 4, 5 and 6 and Overdraws on holes 7, 8, 9 and 10 which enable the harmonica to be played Chromatically)
Please note that the turnaround time on Custom Harmonicas is currently running 6 to 8 weeks. Unless a harmonica is listed as a “Ready-to-Go” harp, all custom harps are built to order, per the customer’s specifications. We keep an inventory of over 1,500 combs and about 400 new Hohner and/or Suzuki harmonicas on hand at all times. If it is listed on the website, we have it in stock. The wait time is not due to us making the combs or ordering the stock harp. It is simply that we are very, very busy and custom harps take time to build. Thank you in advance for your patience.
We Also Recommend